A single of the most vital conclusions you will make when changing your home’s roof is the form of roofing shingles you are going to use. There are a lot of unique sorts of roofing shingles readily available, which is why it is vital to carefully exploration your solutions right before building your supplies variety.
By having the time to understand the execs and downsides of every single roofing type, you can opt for the shingles that provide the proper combination of longevity, dependability, and aesthetic appeal for your demands.
Asphalt Shingle Roofs
One particular of the most generally utilised roofing supplies in the U.S., asphalt shingles are both of those reasonably priced and easy to install. Because asphalt shingles are produced under strict specifications, they are continually solid and adaptable and will not crack or shatter effortlessly. Asphalt shingles may possibly even be bolstered with fiberglass or cellulose with no altering the shingles’ visual appearance.
- Execs: Due to their acceptance, asphalt shingles come out there in a vast wide range of colours. As one of the least high-priced roofing components out there, asphalt shingles are also exceptionally very affordable in comparison to other roofing styles.
- Drawbacks: When extremely tough, asphalt shingles boast a shorter life span than other roofing forms. Furthermore, they do not provide the exact diploma of insulation other roofing shingles give.
Slate roofs are simply recognizable for their unparalleled splendor and unique sophistication. Shades of black, environmentally friendly, grey, red, and purple marry together flawlessly for a roof that’s stylish, smooth, and potent. Capable of long lasting up to 100 years with small routine maintenance, slate roofs are unbelievably sturdy and resistant to even the most challenging elements, these kinds of as fire.
- Pros: These roofing forms are comprised of slate rock and supply excellent toughness and fireplace resistance. On top of that, slate roofs give the highest diploma of sustainability as the resources can be recycled simply.
- Disadvantages: Slate is 1 of the most pricey roofing materials but is effectively well worth the expense for the price additional to your home. Every square is pretty weighty, so installation generally calls for excess framing and can be fairly complex without having the suitable roofer.
Clay & Concrete Tile Roofs
If you’re hunting to include texture and magnificence to your rooftop, clay and concrete tile may well be the selection for you. Readily available in flat, ribbed, and scalloped configurations, clay tiles are exceptionally tough having said that, they can be very large and tough to install.
Though concrete tiles are also large and need professional installation, they provide bigger versatility and are fewer highly-priced than their real clay counterparts.
- Pros: Both equally clay and concrete tiles are really durable and resistant to fire. Concrete tiles, in particular, also offer you high energy performance to defend versus thermal transfer in your house.
- Cons: Because both equally of these tiles are so large, set up can be tough without the right group by your aspect. Added framing is usually needed to set up these roofing products.
Usually made of rubber and plastic, artificial roofing has a short while ago developed in recognition. Synthetic roofs are developed to mimic the aesthetic of other roofing kinds, such as slate or wood. Solid, effortless to preserve, and typically fire-resistant, artificial shingles supply an best solution for just about any property.
- Professionals: Considering the fact that synthetic roofing components aren’t as fragile or large as their legitimate counterparts, they are typically simpler to put in, considerably less high priced, and extra durable. They’re also manufactured of 95% recycled components, so they are the most eco-friendly solution.
- Drawbacks: It’s essential to select a significant-top quality synthetic roofing manufacturer, as some of these roofs can be susceptible to h2o absorption.
Wooden Shingle & Shake Roofs
For hundreds of several years, householders have relied on wooden shingles and shakes to weather the out of doors factors, and it is just one of the most popular roofing supplies in Virginia. The most important big difference among the two is that wood shakes are handmade and rougher-reduce than wood shingles, which are ordinarily machine-minimize. Since wooden is a flammable materials, it’s important to search for Class A hearth-rated wooden roofing when purchasing for the proper elements for your roof alternative task.
- Professionals: Giving a rustic aesthetic, wooden shingles are generally designed from normal goods, these types of as white cedar, redwood, or cypress — ideal for Virginia home owners.
- Disadvantages: Improperly maintained wood shingles can direct to mold development, splitting, or wooden rot.
Enable Further than Exteriors Assist You Choose the Ideal Roofing Shingles for Your Northern Virginia Residence
Deciding upon the correct roofing components for your roof alternative challenge can be tough if you are doubtful what to search for. Luckily for us, Over and above Exteriors has the professional roofers you have to have to support make the correct conclusion for your residence.
From asphalt and slate to synthetic and concrete tile roofing, our team is proud to supply the best good quality components from the industry’s most dependable suppliers.
Make it possible for our crew to assistance you make the suitable decision for your roof by calling (703) 830-0863 to ask for a roof substitution estimate right now!